Northern New Mexico Math & Science Academy for Teachers
The Laboratory's Math and Science Academy (MSA) provides quality STEM education professional development for teachers in participating schools and districts.
Providing teachers in Northern New Mexico with professional development in math, science
The Northern New Mexico Math and Science Academy for Teachers (MSA) is an intensive three-year program designed to support whole-school continuous improvement in math and science teaching and learning.
This LANL program includes
- a three-week summer institute at which teachers learn about best practices in instruction, assessment, student engagement, brain-based learning and STEM education content
- school-year classroom support in math and science content and instruction
- development of teachers into instructional leaders and future administrators
- Increase teacher content knowledge for teaching mathematics and science that bridges content knowledge and knowledge about practice of teaching
- Increase teachers’ use of research-supported practices to conduct effective math and science lessons in their classrooms
- Develop school and district leadership capacity that supports continuous improvement in teaching and learning
- Ultimately improve student learning and achievement in math and science in Northern New Mexico