Our vision is to create a collaboration of strategic public and private partners focused on the innovation and education of explosives detection technologies.
Who we are
Los Alamos National Laboratory Collaboration for Explosives Detection, or LACED, serves as a virtual gateway to world-class expertise and capabilities designed to counter all types of explosives threats, predominantly through enhanced detection capabilities.
Our strategy is simple
- Explosives Science, the core of everything we do.
- Anticipate-Affect threats so that they never happen in the first place.
- Detect immediate threats to minimize loss of life.
- Mitigate & Neutralize threats to counter damage from explosives.
The vision of LACED is to create a collaboration of strategic public and private partners focused on the innovation and education of explosives detection technologies. LACED will leverage Los Alamos expertise, capabilities, and facilities to address global security threats by developing the next generation of technologies that save lives.
What we can do for you: our extensive capabilities
Los Alamos has depth of experience in all areas of explosives science relevant to detection.
Through LACED, Los Alamos offers the following full-cycle capabilities:
- Explosives Science: Capabilities include analytical chemistry, micromechanical testing, performance testing, polymorphism, sensitivity testing, spectroscopy, surface/interface science, and synthesis/formulation of explosives.
- Anticipate-Affect: Capabilities include persistent surveillance, data mining and analytics, human-behavior diagnostics, and socio-cultural modeling.
- Detect: Capabilities include signature characterization, standard analytical instrumentation, trace detection methods and advanced method development, and bulk detection methods and new method development.
- Mitigate & Neutralize: Capabilities include performance testing, advanced disruption methods, airframe modeling, and the development of new shielding paradigms and high-performance materials.
- Training: LACED offers training in training the military in explosive-threat response, including improvised explosive threats training. Other courses include explosive ordnance disposal, a homemade explosives class, high explosives orientation, specific knowhow training, and nuclear weapons training.
How can you work with us?
If you have a complex problem related to explosives detection or are interested in collaborating with Los Alamos on explosives detection technologies, please contact: