- Environmental Communication & Public Involvement
- P.O. Box 1663 MS M992
- Los Alamos, NM 87545
- (505) 667-3792
Who nests in our network?
More than two dozen North American bird species may nest in bird houses. At LANL, the following native bird species are found in our nestboxes:
- Western Bluebird (Sialia mexicana) - primary species
- Mountain Bluebird (Sialia currucoides)
- Ash-throated Flycatcher (Myiarchus cinerascens)
- Mountain Chickadee (Poecile gambeli)
- House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus)
- House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)
The main objective of the avian nestbox monitoring network is to measure bird populations and productivity as an indication of ecosystem health at LANL.
The project has over 500 nest boxes placed on or adjacent to LANL land.
All adults and nestlings Western Bluebirds are banded, and return band numbers are recorded.