- Environmental Communications & Public Involvement
- P.O. Box 1663 MS M996
- Los Alamos, NM 87545
- (505) 667-0216
Managing our cultural resources
As part of the environmental protection program, LANL specialists oversee and manage the Laboratory's cultural resources programs. Several laws, including the National Historic Preservation Act, and various regulations establish the policy, standards, and processes that govern LANL's resources management activities.
In the course of their environmental management activities, LANL cultural resource specialists:
- Evaluate impacts to cultural resources
- Assess ecological risk
- Prepare environmental assessments, cultural resources reports, and mitigation plans
One of the primary responsibilities of cultural resource specialists is to assist LANL organizations with effective environmental planning and decision-making by developing environmental planning documents. Staff also assist LANL's operational groups in developing and implementing compliance assurance programs.
Cultural resource documents
- A Plan for the Management of the Cultural Heritage at Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico, LA-UR-15-27624 (pdf)
- Programmatic Agreement between the U.S. Department of Energy, National Nuclear Security Administration, Los Alamos Site Office, the New Mexico State Historic Preservation Office and the Advisory Council for Historic Preservation concerning Management of the Historic Properties of Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico, LA-UR-06-1975 (pdf)