Northern New Mexico Math & Science Academy for Teachers
The Laboratory's Math and Science Academy provides quality STEM education professional development for teachers in participating schools and districts.
Providing schools with 120 hours of teacher professional development per year
The Northern New Mexico Math and Science Academy for Teachers (MSA) is an intensive three-year program designed to support whole-school continuous improvement in math and science teaching and learning.
This LANL program includes
- a three-week summer institute at which teachers learn about best practices in instruction, assessment, student engagement, brain-based learning and STEM education content
- school-year classroom support in math and science content and instruction
- development of teachers into instructional leaders and future administrators
MSA program goals
- To increase teachers’ content knowledge of math and science
- To increase teachers’ use of research-based practices for effective, inquiry-based math and science teaching in their classrooms
- To increase school and district leadership capacity for continuous improvement in math and science
- To improve student learning and achievement in math and science in Northern New Mexico