STEM Education Summit
The Laboratory views its investment in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education as strengthening the Lab’s strategic direction and developing its current and future workforce.
- Janelle Vigil-Maestas
- Community Programs Office
- (505) 665-4329
The LANL STEM Education Summit was held April 11, 2013, in Los Alamos. Participants at the summit reviewed the Lab’s commitments in improving STEM literacy and prioritized a number of key recommendations.
The purpose of the summit was to
- align and coordinate LANL’s STEM education efforts
- strengthen the lab’s strategic direction and workforce development
- create a unified action plan that ensures the lab fills the employment pipeline
The summit produced a platform of eight recommendations. These recommendations will be reviewed by a working committee that will outline an action plan to guide LANL’s STEM initiative investments. Summit participants
- suggested a stronger branding and communication strategy to advance LANL's STEM initiative and linkage to national security
- called for more coordinated volunteerism to enhance the Lab’s corporate culture.
They viewed program prioritization, evaluation and sustained funding as important to maximizing the impact of LANL’s STEM programs. These recommendations and additional details are outlined in the LANL STEM Education Summit Final Report (pdf).