Postdoc Application Process
Submit general application or apply for specific posted position
For initial consideration, you can submit a general application to the Postdoctoral Research program and/or for a specific posted position. Access the general application or view specific posted postdoc positions.
You may apply to as many posted postdoc positions as you like, provided you are interested in and qualified for them. We recommend modifying your cover letter to address the specific technical points of each job. Your online application will also place you on an applicant listing for technical staff that are searching for suitable candidates.
Every postdoc applicant must be sponsored by a technical staff member to be considered for a postdoc position. To identify a potential sponsor, you can review the Science Organizations and Science & Innovation areas of the Laboratory. In addition, you can meet potential sponsors by attending national and international conferences and workshops, networking with colleagues, or scanning journal publications.
All postdoc appointments must be approved by the Postdoctoral Committee before an offer can be extended. The sponsor along with the candidate is responsible for compiling the Postdoc Application Package (pdf) and submitting it to the Postdoctoral Committee for review once complete.
Specific postdoctoral program schedules
- Postdoctoral Research Associates - Sponsored postdoctoral candidate packages can be submitted at any time and are reviewed by the Postdoctoral Committee continually throughout the year.
- Director's Postdoctoral Fellows - Sponsored candidate packages will be reviewed by the Postdoctoral Committee during each of the quarterly meetings.
- Agnew National Security Postdoctoral Fellows - Sponsored candidate packages will be reviewed by the Postdoctoral Committee during the May quarterly review.
- Entrepreneurial Postdoctoral Fellows - Sponsored candidate packages will be reviewed by the Postdoctoral Committee only during designated quarters.
- Nicholas C. Metropolis Postdoctoral Fellows - Sponsored candidate packages will be reviewed by the Postdoctoral Committee only during designated quarters.
- Distinguished Curie, Feynman, Oppenheimer, and Reines - Sponsored candidates packages will be reviewed by the Postdoctoral Committee only during the January quarterly review.
|Quarterly Review||Deadline to Receive Complete Postdoc Candidate Packages||Outcome of Quarterly Review|
|January||Early December||Late January|
|May||Early April||Late May|
|November||Early October||Mid November|