- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- (505) 667-5061
Charles F. McMillan
Charles F. (Charlie) McMillan was appointed the 10th director of Los Alamos National Laboratory on June 1, 2011.
McMillan has nearly 30 years of scientific and management experience in weapons science and stockpile certification, hands-on experience in both experimental physics and computational science, and demonstrated success at balancing mission performance with security and safety.
McMillan led the Laboratory’s weapons physics organization from 2006 to 2011. Before joining Los Alamos, McMillan served in a variety of research and management positions at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California.
- Holds a doctorate in physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Holds bachelor’s degrees in mathematics and physics from Washington Adventist University
- Has been awarded two Department of Energy Awards of Excellence
- Married, with three college-age children
- Avid photographer and accomplished musician, playing piano, organ, and recorder
- Continues to perform in a baroque chamber music ensemble
"I have great optimism for the future," said McMillan. "This is a complicated time but also a time of great opportunity for the program, an opportunity to work with the Administration to shape tomorrow’s nuclear security complex while effectively managing the nuclear stockpile along the way. The service we provide to the nation is as important now as it ever was."
McMillan also serves as President and CEO of Los Alamos National Security, LLC, the Laboratory’s managing and operating contractor.